NPR Reviews Provided by
The Van Gilder Hotel
Trip Type: Friends getaway
Published Date: Jul, 3, 2022 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2022 Rating: 1
The historic Victorian charm of this building quickly wears off when you realize you are paying Hilton prices for a hostel experience. The building is deteriorating and dirty. Mold and dirt all over drapery, carpet, and shower curtain liners. Because of its age, the hotel is extremely noisy—I could literally hear my neighbor’s snoring and every step up and down the rickety staircase. No fridge or coffee in rooms-you get to battle it out for space in a mini fridge in the “coffee room” and then wait your turn to use a halfway functioning Keurig. My room had a view of the brick wall 4 feet away in the ally. For $300. Per. Night. Perhaps the owners of the hotel should invest some of the $300/night they charge into building maintenance and cleaning. Appalled at the price and lack of amenities. Plus side-great location downtown.
I7053WManag from: Mississauga, Canada
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Aug, 30, 2021 Travel Date: Aug, 1, 2021 Rating: 1
Worse hotel in our holiday 😡😡
The worse hotel room in my life! I can’t believe my husband paid $235 x night. We paid x 2 nights & was a total nightmare. The hotel it’s falling apart. Everything cracks & there it’s holes in the wall! The shower drips. The best of all was Jorge, the receptionist. He was amazing! 🥰
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Aug, 14, 2021 Travel Date: Aug, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
If you are in Seaward you will not want to miss this hotel
The hotel is housed in a historic building, in the city center on the popular and central boulevard. Beautiful and clean rooms, but above all - the service of the hotel manager! George is an amazing person who will help you with any questions and requests. We would definitely like to come back again.
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Jun, 19, 2021 Travel Date: Jun, 1, 2021 Rating: 1
Don’t let the charming historic exterior fool you!
I’m not one to write reviews, but this one needs to be posted to warn fellow travelers about this place!
The outside is charming and inviting for a historic hotel and the pictures of the rooms shown on their website must be from many years ago… As this place is literally a dump. No exaggeration.
The Vangilder hotel is by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. I hate to say it ... because you can tell this is historic building at one time must have been something special for sure. It is in a great location, but unfortunately this hotel has been run into the ground and is not suitable for travelers in its current condition.
My wife and I and another couple who regularly travel together around the world, stayed here last week during our vacation in Alaska. We had booked we booked two nights here for our stay in Seward.
Obviously when you stay at a historic hotel you expect certain things like a musty older smell, which it had… or Creaky floors, etc. but this place was much worse than that. Our room was in an uninhabitable condition. No exaggeration.
1. The door jam to our room was completely broken up and down with shreds of wood hanging out, and had been repaired just enough to be able to close the door and lock it. You could tell that the door had been kicked in and the door jam completely broken and never repaired.
2. Lamp on the nightstand or the electricity on the outlet on that wall did not work. I had to charge my phone in the bathroom as that was the only other outlet in the room. The outlet would only work if the ceiling light was.
3. There was no AC, which is normally not needed… However the one window in the room had no screen. With June being heavy mosquito season, we could not leave the window open and therefore could not get any fresh air in this musty room.
4. The hotel manager said he had removed the TVs from the rooms,?? and that he decided not to replace them for some reason… So we had no TV and no electricity in our room.
5. The doors, the walls, were filthy dirty and had not been repainted or cleaned in a long time.
6. The bathroom wall had a large hole in the wall! See picture. It also had a rather large unsightly hole in the floor below the toilet where the plumbing comes through and was moldy and dirty.
7. The shower head was not properly functional, and there was mold on the walls in the shower!
8. The bathroom door would not shut to close off and lock while inside.
9. The wallpaper in the bathroom was curled and coming off the wall.
There were other minor things not worth mentioning, as these were the main points that had us flabbergasted.
Our friends stayed in the room across from us 213, and their room had different issues, but was just as bad as ours....
We could not believe what we were staying in!
After dinner that evening none of us wanted to go back to that hotel. The thought of having to stay in this rundown, abused and dilapidated dump was more than we could consider, so we canceled our second night reservation and booked another hotel in Seward.
We had a hard time believing that any respectable hotelier would allow guests to stay at such a dump.
On the positive side… George, the hotel manager was extremely friendly nice and tried to be accommodating. When we explained our concerns the next morning and the reason for canceling the second night… He completely understood.
Also the sheets and towels were in good condition and seemed fairly new.
Other than that… The Vangilder hotel is too run down to be rented out in its current condition and is in need of desperate repair… Or knock down and build a new hotel!
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Dec, 9, 2019 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2019 Rating: 1
We went for honey moon and when we arrived they told us that they didn’t have more reservations and they sent us to a hostal! When we payed for a hotel room in there and they didn’t give us a refund. Definitely the worst hotel in service.