NPR Reviews Provided by
R6802HPcristinad from: Denver, United States
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Sep, 3, 2023 Travel Date: Sep, 1, 2023 Rating: 2
Worst of both worlds
This was an incredibly disappointing stay. We were missing half of the expected toiletries (hair conditioner, body lotion), the apartment was extremely hot and could not be cooled, the bathroom door does not fully closed (it is an odd farmhouse design that does not block light nor afford privacy), and the coffee bar (Esprusso) has not been open once since we've been there including before a fishing trip this am when we were counting on it. There is NO ONSITE MANAGEMENT to help with any of this.
On top of this all, you are expected to clean and take your own trash. You would be much better off book a legitimate b&b or hotel. We will not book again.
Dreamwood3 from: North Pole, Alaska
Published Date: Jul, 30, 2023 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2023 Rating: 4
Bring an extension cord
We had a wonderful 4 night stay at the Spruce Lodge and I would stay there again. The rooms are large, comfortable, and clean, and the setting is very peaceful and quiet away from the city.
The Good: The kitchenette is a full-sized kitchen. The bed was very comfortable and yes there is a hair dryer. The building is relatively new, only a year old or so, but everything is installed well with solid construction.
The Bad: There are 2 things that travelers need to be made aware of. The most problematic one is that there are no outlets near the bed. This can easily be fixed by traveling with an extension cord.
There is no air conditioning in the rooms. I would recommend that the facility possibly install ceiling fans or have portable fans available for guests. We requested fans but they did not have any on site.
Please be aware that some rooms are in an upper level and you may need to haul your luggage up one flight of stairs. They do have rooms on a lower level with large ramps for handicapped access.
I would stay here again but do bring an extension cord.
- Value: 4
- Location: 5
- Service: 5
Published Date: Jul, 22, 2023 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2023 Rating: 4
Staff: Meets expectations - This is a check-yourself-in lodge where the code to your door is texted to you at check-in time. Felt more like an AirBnB than a lodge.
Basics/amenities: Meets expectations
- The Spruce Lodge is a short drive to "downtown" Seward
- Wi-fi worked well (slight lag on the TV when everyone at the lodge was "home" for the evening)
- The queen-sized studio-style room has a window that opens with a screen (a lifesaver, as there is no air conditioning, only heat)
- There was no fan, but the microwave "fan" was able to generate "white noise" to cover the noise generated by the neighboring units (conversation rumbling and dog-barking can be heard through the walls so if our neighbors had been noisier, it would've been worse)
- The laundry detergent used had a very noticeable scent, which irritated my allergies (allergy-free is always best when you don't know who's coming to stay!)
- Top vanity drawer in the bathroom needed to be wiped out (sticky substance on the liner)
- No bedside tables (on either side of the bed!), not was there room for same (we made do with the stools provided for the small high-top table in the room)
- Limited electric plugs near the bed (only 1 USB plug on the wall-mounted lamp on 1 side of the bed)
- No tissues (was able to use extra toilet paper left in the vanity)
- Kitchen coffee maker needed more coffee filters for the length of our stay
There seemed to be a fair amount of construction going on at the property--great for the future, but not the most-scenic currently.
- Value: 5
- Location: 5
- Service: 4
amberhZ9642PL from: Hilton Head, South Carolina
Published Date: Jun, 29, 2023 Travel Date: Jun, 1, 2023 Rating: 1
AVOID .... FRAUD.... check all reviews
FRAUD... Several other reviews of fraud on other sites as well. NO office just people passing around a cell phone. Had to file a complaint with my credit card to get the overcharging back. Rude and disrespectful staff.
Margaret R from:
Published Date: Jun, 12, 2023 Travel Date: Jun, 1, 2023 Rating: 5
Best Stay of my Trip!
This was such a fabulous find! The room was incredible. Spotless, plenty of space with everything you could need. Stunning views with contactless checkin. Right across the street from an amazing dinner joint with amazing staff. They even gave me a ride back to where I was going in their new shuttle! Wonderful people, I look forward to recommending this stay and hopefully returning one day. Best stay of my trip!