NPR Reviews Provided by
Kenai Fjords Glacier Lodge
CindyandJohn90503 from: Torrance, California
Trip Type: Family
Published Date: Jan, 28, 2022 Travel Date: Jun, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
An Extraordinary Experience
- what a treasure this place is. From the cabins, to the food, to the adventures, this place gets everything right. Of course, that only happens with fantastic staff, and this place has them in abundance. Everyone who works here is kind, fun, and shockingly well-educated on outdoor education. Patient too. We are all trying new stuff, and they are supportive and work with each person individually to make each guest fell comfortable and included, regardless of athletic level. The cabins are clean, cozy, and spacious. We slept like rocks. I was thrilled to discover they have some rooms set up for three adults as I took my two grown sons on this trip with me and it is so much nicer when each person has a bed to themselves, so that was a huge perk. This area of Alaska is cold, even in summer, but the rooms stayed toasty. Hot water for the in-room shower comes on quickly too. But my favorite feature of the cabin is the view. The cabins have sliding glass doors and a porch with rocking chairs which will steal your attention and make it hard to stop staring at Pederson Glacier all night !
- The food is really delicious at this lodge. We had full breakfast choices each morning, hearty sandwiches and soup for lunch, and well-crafted dinners each evening. I think they bake their own bread too. My younger son is a veterinarian and he was able to get delicious meals too. There is a bar across from the dining room where you can get free sodas, coffee, tea, and snacks throughout the day, and wine or “glaceritas” for a small charge in the evenings. I highly recommend the glaceritas. The adventures crafted each day were a blast. We picked this place based on their immersive experience hand-crafted for the guests. The education on conservation was exceptional and the staff really know their stuff. They are happy to impart their knowledge as you go on a guided hike, canoe paddle, or kayaking experience. It’s all beautiful country, so you pick what matches your energy and curiosity level. We did an all-day kayaking trip one day to Aialik Glacier (highly recommend) then a morning hike and afternoon canoe paddle + nature trail walk to Pederson Glacier the second day.
- They also have environmental topics presented each evening out on the deck.
- They have a full gear deck which was extremely helpful. They have a huge supply of rubber boots (Wellies) which are critical in the muddy and wet conditions, rain pants, rain jackets, paddle spray skirts - all in heavy supply, and multiple sizes. trekking poles for trail walking too.
- The property is beautifully designed, low impact, and blends in with the natural surroundings. The Finnish sauna is an added treat.
- The boat ride out and back is an exceptional way to see Resurrection Bay as well. We saw Orcas on the boat ride in and Humpback whales on the way back.
- Find a way to stay at this place for a few days if you are serious about seeing Kenai Fjords, we made memories for a lifetime here.
Trip Type: Family
Published Date: Aug, 28, 2021 Travel Date: Aug, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
Spectacular setting and lodge
Our family had a great visit. Most of our trips in the wilderness/backcountry we go on our own and backpack, but this was a welcome introduction to backcountry luxury. My daughter loves otters and we saw sea otters every day. This truly is a special place. The setting is as scenic as it gets and the lodge and cabins are designed so as not to intrude on the environment. We booked 3 nights and ended up staying 4 because of weather. It was not a bad place to be stranded for an extra night!Be sure to heed their guidance on scheduling a buffet day after your stay. We did most of the activities available including kayaking to Pederson and Ailiak glaciers, the ridge hike, and canoe/hike trips to Pederson and Addison lake. All of it is exceptional and not too strenuous. The ridge hike is probably the most difficult, but in good weather it’s spectacular. The guides were all great, as was the food.
Published Date: Jul, 26, 2021 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
Every bit as spectacular as the pictures show.
A once in a lifetime experience, absolutely first class trip. Just the boat trip alone to get there was great. Sea kayaking was fun, with newer boats, appropriate gear, and knowledgeable guides. Fun paddle in big canoes in the bay in front of the lodge. Read their web page, they are overly modest with descriptions. Food was gourmet, too much so for this old boy.
GillyB3333 from: San Diego, California
Trip Type: Couples
Published Date: Jul, 6, 2021 Travel Date: Jul, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
Highly recommend Alaska Safari experience
We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the lodge. Well worth the money for the value of the experience. We loved going on hikes with the neighboring bears- it felt like we were all alone with nature. We’ve been on a luxury safari in Tanzania, and we would rate this experience on par. We will definitely return to this special place.
janism339 from: Clinton, CT
Published Date: Jun, 29, 2021 Travel Date: Jun, 1, 2021 Rating: 5
This is the most incredible place to stay! We started off by taking a boat from Seward and seeing Orcas, calving glaciers, sea lions, and more! Then we arrived at the lodge and were welcomed by the incredible staff there. We had a wonderful cabin that overlooked Pedersen glacier! The food was amazing!! The trips they organize were awesome experiences - loved kayaking to the Aialek glacier! We ended up staying an extra night due to weather issues. Everyone went above and beyond helping get all arrangements made to accommodate our delayed departure. We were actually glad to get an extra day! We loved our time here and highly recommend it!!